Tuesday, February 7, 2012

As long as it is called Today...

13 But exhort one another each day, as long as it is called “Today,” that none of you may become hardened by sin’s deception. Heb.3

Every day, each day as long as it is called Today....exhort, encourage, come along side...
Why...because sin deceives us and as a result we get hard hearted. It is that simple but the thing with deception, we don't know we are being hardened or deceived. That is the sneaky side of sin...others have to tell us. Let me ask you, how often has someone in your life said to you ...'hey, you are being deceived by sin and you are getting hard hearted'?
What does a hard hearted person act like?
Remember when the cry of the heart was that we would have a heart of flesh not a heart of stone? I know there is a creeping hardness in my heart...and as I pray for my enemies I realize when it began. I harbor resentment. I enjoy the fruit of jealousy. I relish apathy.
Not full blown...not wholeheartedly...but I am deceived in increments. A little bit of sin...

A little resentment colors every conversation . A little jealousy hinders gratefulness and contentment. A little apathy allows the day to melt into trivial pursuits. Increments...

Today...I exhort you, I exhort me...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a new insight - wow! It seems that we need to grow spiritually in community! Something to think/work through. - lew

Traveller said...

Wow! Have you been reading my mind? I need to ponder this more...

Sharon said...

I agree with the other comments - you have been reading my mind. I too will be pondering this for the next while (and intending to take postive action!)