Thursday, March 1, 2012

Telling my story



On March the 20th, I am to tell my story to the students here at LC during chapel.  I accepted the request because I enjoy speaking in chapel..I enjoy preaching if possible... I enjoy the challenge of speaking and engaging teenagers for 20 minutes about issues they have usually heard before and try and present in another way.  Sometimes I am effective...other times, not so much.

Needless to say...telling my story out loud brings with it a certain amount of fear. So much of my story has to do with people in this picture. Two of them no longer breath the air in this world. So much of my story is about loss, and loss is so very very personal.  Most know  something about Curtiss and my Mom and my Dad and how I was raised...I often speak in terms of overcoming, enduring, learning but not the profound aspect of how I have dealt with this loss. So you may ask...why do it?

Long ago I decided that if I would be anything, I would try to be authentic. I would be who I am where I am. One part of why I attempt to follow Jesus is that He has been the only constant in my life. Nothing... love, family, geography, work has ever remained constant...He has. We don't have an easy relationship...we do have an honest one. So within all the losses...He has been the walls I bounce in. I want the students to know that. As tired as they are about all that is True...I want them to know how amazing the Wall of faith is when everything else crumbles...this is one thing I know for sure. Students need to start building those walls of faith now...because loss/grief, disappointment is either coming or has come already.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A testimony is the best - it is YOUR story. Being willing to share the ups and downs in your walk with God carries a lot of weight with youth, I think. Blessings, ~lew