Thursday, December 13, 2012

A silent night for me...

I drove home from Childrens' hospital having just heard from the doctors that one of my Chinese students has Stage4 lymphoma Hodgkin's cancer.  It is hard to focus on Christmas or family joy or anything for that matter. She is only 17 but the offensive thing about cancer is that as we sit in the waiting rooms for hours on end there is a stream of children wandering through with bald heads, tubes and cute knitted caps, holding on to IV tubes.  There are 4 floors and they are adding on to this hospital full of very sick kids.  I have said that this place is sacred, for healing takes place and hope is dispersed by competent and skilled doctors, nurses and staff. Cancer is so offensive , evil, insidious, and scary.  So much needs to happen to get her ready for the treatment that ironically will make her feel much sicker then this deadly disease ever will.  Her parents have to come from China, they have to be here for the next 4 months while she fights for the right to live longer. So many moving parts...

A silent night as I pondered the weight of this information. She does not know how much God loves her...or her parents...I pray in these awful months she will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi - just after I finished reading your blog, I came across an article about one way to challenge cancer cells. http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/December/Starving-Cancer-Ketogenic-Diet-a-Key-to-Recovery/

I pass it on for your information. I also realize that the primary concern needs to be for her spiritual life - and that of her parents. As you mirror Jesus to them, may they see the Hope that there is in Him. - lew

Les Hon said...

wow...prayers for all that is to come for this family.