Monday, August 18, 2014

A conversation can change things



Since he has been able to pick up a stick , this boy of ours  has played a soldier, walking around our neighborhood in full camouflage and pretend rifles and hand grenades slung over his little shoulders. When I married Scott coming from a family of Marines, being a Marine himself, must have been a gift from the God he was getting to know. I was sure this was going to be a phase...like being an astronaut or president.
As he got older, he immersed himself in WW I and II history, military history and reading soldier stories of old and present. I began to understand that this was not a little boys imagination but a young mans ambition and my Mama influence came into full force. I was using my 'amazing' persuasive powers to change his mind.
I have worked on him for the last 4 years and finally when he decided to go on a mission to Palestine with Pioneers, I thanked God I had a year more to talk him out of it or God  who if course was also  on my side, would change his mind while he wandered in the "holy" land.
Last week at the fair which comes here every summer, Nick went to talk to the Marine recruiter...on a whim, a short conversation changed to a long conversation. It seems that if you go to a country that is hostile to the US after the age of 15, your security clearance to do anything in the Marines is significantly limited. He could be a cook...maybe. You would think that this would be an answer to my many years of prayer, he would go on his mission and never go in the Marines,
 OR...go on his mission, which is the Marines.

In churches, I always have found it amazingly ironic that students who go on mission trips, or go to YWAM  get prayed for in  front of the church.  As if what they are doing is more important than a student who is working a job or  going to University where their faith will be tested and their opportunity to be a witness more profound then a 10 day mission/tourist trip or a 6 month long discipleship course. I think if every student was sent out with prayer support from their church body, than students would realize they are always on a mission to bring the Kingdom of God wherever they are planted. There is nothing we do that is of more value then something else in kingdom building.There are some things however,  that are more difficult.

I think going in the Marines will be difficult for his mind, body, and soul as a Kingdom Builder. I would have asked you to pray for Nick if he was going to Palestine, I need to ask you to commit to pray for Nick going into this mission, the Marines. You won't have to support him financially...but can I ask for your prayer support?

There is a lot of fear in this decision...not him,I have never seen him more sure. I am afraid because I know God does not necessarily keep safe. I know the business of the Marines is war...
He wants to be an Honorable Warrior.
He wants to honor God in the Marines...I wonder at times if that is possible.
I know, I know....

One conversation...





2 comments:

Les Hon said...

I couldn't agree more with what you have said about determining that only some of us are on a mission in the world.

I thank God for honorable young men who choose to serve our country. Like you, I would fine if they didn't include my son...I will pray for Nick, and his momma, as he pursues the path God has put I his heart and mind.

Lynn said...

I will pray for Nick and for you, Heidi. This is a hard conversation. My mother heart feels for yours!a