Sunday, November 8, 2009

Earning wrinkles and South Pacific


It is that time of year when I begin to think about a new hairstyle. I used to change my hairstyle every 6 months...Looking back I think I was a bit insecure about how I looked and thought that a new hairstyle would catapult me into beauty bliss. There were some that catapulted me in the opposite direction. I have one of those faces (thank you parents) that makes every hairstyle OK but no matter what the beauty technician said...there were times I wish I had been more forth-right.
Hairstyles and going to the salon is a distinctly female malady. But no matter how often we are told we look great, we gamble ...OK, I gamble and go back in again for that elixir of youth. I have been told that at this age...there are some hairstyles that are appropriate and some...not so.
So again age has limited the possibilities. I know, there are some of you that say...do whatever you want Heidi...but honestly...there are some hairstyles that the younger women should own and some only for us older folks. You see these wrinkles on our face that we have worked hard to earn gives us the exclusive domain of hairstyles that hide rather then expose, enhance rather then flaunt, simplify rather then complicate.
I have no idea if those wonderful ladies and few men know how much power they have in those scissors and combs.
When you have found her...never let her go.........

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Heidi,
You are so right about your analysis of hairstyles. I am finding as I get older that as much as I love some of the young "do's" they really do nothing for me. It's all about "hide rather than expose, enhance rather than flaunt, simplify rather than complicate"! Maybe this comes with the right of passage as we get older. But yes, when one find a hairdresser that helps us through by finding a style that makes us feel good about ourselves at any stage of life as the song goes..."when you have found her...never let her go!"

I am finding this passage true of some the ministries I was involved in! The young women want to take over, and as much as I reluctantly have to give them up I must... because God has newer, updated (and sometimes age appropriate) ministries ready for me. In this case the "when you have found her...never let her go" DOES NOT apply - as much as I want it otherwise!

Ah, getting older ...hard or easy? I guess it's all in our attitude isn't it? Sharon

Anonymous said...

It is sexy long....and I am jealous. I have wimp hair.....just saying.