Saturday, November 14, 2009

Waffling

Here is the deal....I have not been a member of a church since lets say 10th grade. I have attended church, taught in church, tithed, etc. but have not seen reason to become a member of a church. I think we are members of The Church so being a member of a local church seems redundant. Scott and I are thinking of becoming members of the church we are attending and we have gone to the classes etc...now all we have to do is get in front of the church and say yes we do want to be members. Why is this so important? The church we have been attending is a local reformed church in walking distance from our house. This isn't saying much because if I stand on my roof I can count and see at least 8 churches in walking distance. The thing is ..I am not reformed. I like some things about the reformed church but not all.
I can say this about every flavor of church. I think of denominations as flavors of ice-cream. Fundamentally ice cream is made up of milk and sugar, then flavoring. So if the fundamentals are right (unlike the Mormon stake which uses soy milk) it is really what flavor you like. So to stand up and say to all...I like this flavor better then all the other flavors would be silly...I like a lot of different flavors and some...I don't like at all. Why can't I just say..I love Ice Cream and at this time, I like this flavor well enough but not exclusively. Every one gets so caught up in making sure everyone likes their flavor best and only their flavor when it really is all about the Milk and Sugar.
I am sure I will go ahead and become a member because it seems that liking and disliking flavors isn't how we want to 'do church'. I have to come up with a good enough reason though why we are becoming members...before tomorrow. I don't think 'it is in walking distance from our house' and 'I know some people' is a good enough reason. Now...if this church said to me, Hey Heidi, we know you like to preach and would love to use this gift of yours in this congregation...I would really like this flavor. But they don't like women to have this particular gift...then not alot of flavors do. Well, some flavors but I don't like the fruits and nuts they use in their mix.
Here I go a waffling...

1 comment:

Les Hon said...

:D Love your analogy! I'm with you...