Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Something Holy

Scott, Nick and I went on a long drive over the river and through the woods and over the mountains and through the snow and over the HUGE land mass of farm land in Alberta and Saskatchewan to surprise my Dad on his 80th. It was great and fun and wonderful as only they can do. Something happened on Friday that made me rethink what is Holy.
I don't know if you know Elfrieda, Elviera and Elsie but if you do ... they are pretty amazing ladies who have done pretty amazing things in their lifetime. They have gone overseas, as teachers and nurses, been loyal friends and tight sisters. They work hard, laugh often, love fiercely, pray deeply always unselfishly. I have had the privilege of knowing them all my life and I have always been the beneficiary of their knowledge, love and healing care.
Their older sister Anna is in a home that helps care for her since the accident. The accident that I wrote about almost 2 years ago. Before this accident Anna was in the middle of this trio, the only thing missing in her participation was that her name did not start with an E. She worked on quilts, puppets, gardening...constantly working with her hands on behalf of other. They were an amazing team of women...Anna would make, Elsie and Elviera would take what she made and would teach and organize ...
Now the three of the ladies go to Anna's home and love on her and if she is sleeping, love on every one else there. They come in with smiles and encouragement and warmth and love...Even if Anna is not sleeping and is attempting to eat in the dining room they walk around and hug, and talk and hold hands with the other residents. This is so much part of who they are...that I know they think of it as what any body would do. This is where they are wrong...there are not many like these women. Who so unselfishly day in and day out do a most Holy work.
Remember if you do this to the least of these you do it to Jesus. If they had nursing homes in Jesus day he would have said...when you came and visited me when I could not speak very well, when my mobility was so limited and I had become too old and hurt ... you came and brought me flowers. You fed me at lunch time so gently and carefully. You spoke the words of Psalm 23 so help me remember what I had always known. You brought me joy in your enthusiasm and love in your smile. That was me...
What they have done...what they are doing...Holy work and I am humbled by their examples. We get it wrong folks if we think what is done on the stage is what is Holy. This is where it happens in that small room, in that home in Warmen, Saskatchewan .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can learn so much from those dear ladies - they challenge me every time I am with them. So glad you had some time to enjoy and observe them. :-)

Sharon said...

I have also been deeply impacted by the love and care of these ladies I am privileged to call my friends (Elfrieda in particular). The challenge me at all times by their unselfish model of Jesus words you so aptly remind us of. Thanks Heidi.