Monday, December 5, 2011

Really? Seriously?

Zachariah said to the angel, "Do you expect me to believe this? I'm an old man and my wife is an old woman."
But the angel said, "I am Gabriel, the sentinel of God, sent especially to bring you this glad news.20 But because you won't believe me, you'll be unable to say a word until the day of your son's birth. Every word I've spoken to you will come true on time-God's time."

Incredulous is the word to describe Zachariah...so not like the response that Mary had a few months later when Gabriel came with good news of another baby coming. Mary had questions about the obvious....how, I haven't been with a man..etc. But Z man...."Really, you expect me to believe this?" I get this quite often when I am trying to explain something about the Bible to our Bible illiterate International students. With respect, they get that look on their face, kind of smirking, "really...you expect me to believe this?" I know, when you step back from the story and begin to hear it for the first time, it sounds a bit out there. I don't know about you but when I hear the story through the ears of non-believer, it sounds a bit out there as well.

I love Gabriel's anger and frustration in response but at the same time I wonder what I have lost when I have responded in unbelief? What silence I have had to endure in relationships because I did not believe that forgiving was the only way? What separation because I did not believe that letting something go was the best way? How many morning lay silent as I pounded heavens door because I would not believe?
I am so Zachariah !
I want to be more Mary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have provoked my thinker again - thanks for the nudge. :-) -lew