Tuesday, May 15, 2012

and so it goes

This is Mijo's 8th grade graduation in Sentani...I remember this day like it was yesterday. I remember what I was thinking as I wrapped my arms around this lovely daughter of mine. She had struggled and overcome in this brand new place that was my home. I was so proud of her and this is what I wrote on that day..


Dearest Mijo,

OK, so what happened exactly? How did you become so old so quickly?. I know you were born just the other day, in all your wonder and newness.

What an amazing gift you have been, every expression of hope, joy, despair, surprise dances across your beautiful face. We haven’t even started to talk about your compassionate, dramatic, gentle, spontaneous servant soul.

When you were about 5 years old, you were starting to learn to write your letters. We were on the letter C and you kept writing the C backwards. Finally, after a while of seeing your backward C I sat down and explained that the C if you wanted to write it correctly pointed the other direction. I thought it was a matter of education; you just needed to know the right way of doing things.
 
You looked at me and said, “No, I like my C’s to point this way”.

“Well Mijo, you may like them that way, but there is a rule about how C are supposed to be written…you can’t just change it, you aren’t the ruler of the universe”.

Under her breath she said quietly...”Not yet”.

I thought in that moment we were in for a long road ahead. It has been a road but not a long one. We can’t imagine how much less our family would be without you and your dramatic imaginations and consistent love.

We so love all that you are and all that you are becoming.

We are so proud of you and who you are choosing to be…Especially since you have decided Who the ruler of the universe is and that it isn’t you.


Your Dad and Mom.

Now, she is graduating from High school...

No comments: