Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Like a salt shaker



It used to be that every time I went to a restaurant I would try and balance the salt shaker on its side. Sprinkle some salt on the table and see if you can balance it just so for it to stay tilted on its side for just a few moments. I was able to balance this salt shaker long enough to take a picture, I was particularly balanced that day.

It really isn't a measure of my state of mind on the given day that I happen to be in restaurant with a good salt shaker and an even table...I just like to think it is. 
I would like to think I can balance life's demands that easily. As elusive as it is for me to attain this balance with a salt shaker in any given restaurant, so it is true with life. Balance is illusive and precarious.  
Moderation and Balance are often replacements for peace and contentment. However, I think the peace we are promised is when we can't balance and life does not bring with it moderation. We think that the more we can control, the more we can balance the more we will be happy. I don't know about you but life is a pendulum, and balance and moderation is only on the swing through between the extremes. It is very much like a salt shaker on a restaurant table.
I am learning to find those moments and instead of assuming it should be the norm, appreciating the fact that I was able to pause in the middle of the swing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK - first of all, I've never even thought, of balancing a salt shaker - so that is a unique concept to me. However, it is a very good way of illustrating your point - enjoy those moments of balance when they swing your way. - lew