Monday, October 8, 2012

Canning Hotness

So...we have tomatoes all producing at the same time so Scott and I decide to make salsa and can it all.  All goes well until our last batch. Scott loves it spicy so we make two batches, one with hot and one mild.  We did not grow the necessary peppers so Scott went and purchased the add-ins and I just chopped and put in the mix, chopped and chopped and chopped. During the milieu of throwing whatever Scott purchased into the batch...something sinister was happening. I got a whiff of it when I tasted a bit and my  tongue burned.

"Scott, what king of peppers did you buy?"
"You, know...the normal non-hot kind you like."
" Really, because something tastes really hot."
"No, you are just sensitive."

So we continued and interestingly after washing everything and putting all the pots away, my hands began to burn. When I took my contacts out, I burned my eyes and 2 hours after I fell asleep I was awakened to burning, aching hands. I quickly put some coconut oil on my burning hands and was able to fall asleep.
I am a little afraid of what we have concocted in those recent salsas. I will not try them...I will watch Scott closely and see how flushed he becomes because we  have made something powerful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hoping you will report in on Scot's assessment. Those hot peppers are nasty on the skin and eyes - :(