Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Useless purpose



Remember how short my life is. You have created all people for such a useless purpose. Psalm 89:47

We are like the grass of the field, here today and gone tomorrow...

Are you discouraged yet?  I can imagine the verse from Psalm 89 isn't used for many sermons or picture captions. I am sure if this verse was someones favorite life verse we would wonder at the mental health of this tortured soul.  This Psalm is a strange one, it is so full of the power of God, His faithfulness, His strenght, His goodness, His Might, His Rightness and near the end...it seems that Ethan the Ezrahite. after extolling the wonders of God and virtues of David looks at his own life and wonders quickly...who am I anyway?  I love that about scripture...it speaks what not only is true about God, but what is true about us. I can't be the only one who has wondered in the grand scheme of life how short it is...and how useless it seems.  What is amazing about these 10 words is that the blame for it all is on God. You have created all people for such a useless purpose..You, mighty God.  Not some, all people...all of us are created for such a useless purpose. I wonder what Ethan was thinking that one purpose was. 

I am going to chew on this verse for awhile...not because it is encouraging but maybe because it seems to be spot on in the babble of all the wonders of who we think we are or have been told we are.  A cold shower of reality...I wonder what joy God gets from these broken vessels that try so hard to carry around any bits of glory.
 It seems He does....I just wonder why when the truth is from our viewpoint is that we are useless.  Our view, though, isn't always the one that matters.

No comments: