Monday, October 29, 2012

This man

I traveled to Southern California to go to a symposium for my job. What an excellent time of learning and reshaping my ideas on how to help the students and the host parents in their separate but similar journeys.  The fly in this ointment was that I traveled by plane and for me, that is my specific and annoying fear. I can do, snakes, heights, tight places and overcrowded elevators...but flying...I become stupid. This man knows me well, took a week off of work and accompanied me to this symposium just so I had a rock in the storm of my fear. I am ashamed and frustrated that this is my reality and for the life of me have to figure this out but I am so thankful for his man who does not seem to be afraid of anything...well, maybe spiders but he kills them.
The flights were calm, uneventful but you would never know this by looking at me. On one portion, landing in Portland the weather channel told me we were going to fly right into storms. A half hour before landing, I was gripping Scott's legs and doing my breathing exercises. There was no turbulence at the time, I was just preparing.
 How sad is that...because the reality was that it was really the smoothest landing of all the landings...and there were 6 of them.
I think I live in a lot anticipatory anxiety. Wait...isn't that what worry is...an anticipation of what may happen but usually does not. We are preparing for turbulence when it is smooth sailing...as if my death grip on Scott's leg would alleviate the fear or even the turbulence.
We are not to worry...fear not fear not fear not fear not fear not....
Now when the reality of the storm is at hand...ie: Sandy, accident, bad news....we can in reality do things to make a difference when it is real not imagined.
 It all comes...we should enjoy the ride when its turbulence free...bumpy comes.

No comments: