Wednesday, June 11, 2014

His Purpose...and mine

Henry Blackaby, the author of "Experiencing God." He wrote, "[God] will reveal His purposes to you so you can become involved in His work rather than merely pursuing your own goals and dreams. #EG" Is that relevant to your ponderings?


A wonderful mentor/friend asked me this question commenting on my last post.  I thought about this picture. I believe that God reveals his purposes/work/will/delight often times in our goals and dreams. If we delight in the Lord he will give you the desires of your heart...right? Or can we say, the desires of our heart are His delight if we delight in Him.

We are driving to Saskatoon to visit my folks very much our desire when along came this house in the middle of the road. We could have very much pushed forward with disastrous results or wait on the side of the road as it passed us by. I think we think that this is how God works his will in us. We are merrily going along our way and suddenly we have to make a drastic stop or diversion because there is house/ clear obvious road block in the middle of what we desire to do.
Can we make wrong decisions...I don't know? Can we make decision that will make life harder, yes, but are they wrong?  In the grand scheme of trusting God...and delighting in Him I don't think you can go wrong. It may not work out as you expected...but that may be the perfect place for you to be in to become the person ...you want in your soul to be.
There are some decision that are very clear...like a house in the middle of the road. If you marry a person with addiction/anger problems/manipulation issue, control issues...you will have a difficult marriage. You can go forward and bear the consequences which in turn could be very painful...but wrong? 

But back to what are God's purposes for me, His delight?  As He can work His purposes in our delights, the problem is I don't know what my heart delights in. I am not scared of the house in the middle of the road...I have no idea what road I should be traveling. I can focus on delighting in the Lord...I have no idea how to do that as I think, we find our delight in the Lord, following the delights of our heart...oh, it is circuitous.

My Son loves mountain biking...LOVES it. As he pursues this hobby he delights in the Creator, in the pleasure of this sport, in the company of his friends....Delight all around. Pleasure, beauty, community  what is ultimately Good is trans-formative.

His purpose for me and about me is delight. Summer reflection #1. Finding delight.





No comments: