Monday, June 9, 2014

What now?

So it is the Monday after the weekend of graduation and parties and hoopla. I did not cry once at any of the events as I had done with the daughter. Nicklaus is not only graduating but if everything works out , he will be traveling far away for a year. I am going to miss this son of mine. He is such good company and has been in his 17/18 years everything I could have hoped for. Now as the chapters close on this part of my life,  it is time for some serious reflection.

 This summer, I want to take the time to figure out what the next chapter will be now that the intensity of parenting has moved to a different level. I have concentrated my focus in the last 20 years to parent to the best of my ability. It has been  through addiction and death of a spouse, financial difficulties, being single, buying and selling homes, dating, newly married, in job transitions, in different geography's, in getting my Masters, in healing from serious injury, in deaths of in-laws. Parenting has been my focus of energy and imagination. Along the way, in the normal and worthwhile concentration of being a mom, I have lost whatever my dreams, ambitions or passions were. I thought I knew what it was I wanted to do...but what I have really wanted  is to do right by the kids that were given to me in the middle of what has been some incredible difficult years.

Now I have a good job, a wonderful marriage, a comfortable life...but no idea whatsoever what it is I have a passion for. My focus has been parenting....what happens when that focus is not longer necessary...what then, what now?

3 comments:

Les Hon said...

I look forward to your musings on this dilemma. I'm not sure I have an answer after 10 years...

Anonymous said...

While I was pondering your blog, I came across a comment on FB from Henry Blackaby, the author of "Experiencing God." He wrote, "[God] will reveal His purposes to you so you can become involved in His work rather than merely pursuing your own goals and dreams. #EG" Is that relevant to your ponderings? - lew

about the long and winding road... said...

LEW...it is and it isn't...I do believe that God reveals his purposes in our goals and dreams. I am not so limited to God always having something so alternative to that..I do believe I will write on that :).