Thursday, September 6, 2007

Birthdays in Birthplaces

I am one of the older teachers here at HIS, the teachers who came out with us are a good 10 to 20 years younger. The problem with age as I see it, it really is a matter of perspective, and now I am sounding like I am old. I have no idea how to deal with my age and as Mijo said this morning, " Mom, I forgot it was your birthday and you should be happy about that because it really doesn't mean anything to get older". I asked her how she would feel if I forgot and she proceeded to tell me it means a lot when you are a kid.

Scott found me my first Papuan purse and those who know me and my propensity for buying purses will know he did well. My birthdays when I was younger were always celebrated in the dorm because it was right after school started. Why that strikes a note in my memory I have no idea, but here I am back in my birthplace turning 44 but it really does not matter because it doesn't mean anything to get older once you are older as my daughter so reminded me this morning.

So my motto at 44 is to be fearless and this will take somewhat of a miracle as it seems I am much more fearful then fearless. God in His Mercy is doing a work in that area in my life because it seems that most the fears that have haunted me were born here in my birthplace. What a present for those fears to be layed to rest here in this birthplace as well.

4 comments:

Paul van der Bijl said...

oh yeah. your birthday. how about that. hope you had a happy one, and it still means something, seeing that your little brother is turning 40 this next year NOBODY better forget. so do you have pics up anywhere that I can look at?

about the long and winding road... said...

Paul, HOw could we forget your birthday...40, That means I will be 45. It takes forver and a day to upload any pictures. are you not getting the few I put on the blog. If you have a better idea where I can put pictures without bogging down the system let me know. I am collecting some pictures but they are all on my computer at the moment. How are things..write me an email.

Lisa said...

Ah hah... finally I updated my own blog so I can comment on yours! I actually check every day and read everything you post. I just had overwhelming guilt about not keeping up with mine so I didn't post on yours so that no one would know I was online and didn't bother to post! LOL... hey, did you know that tickets to come and visit you cost @ $3000?! Weird... it's almost as if you were half way around the world or something. Who knew?! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAYS TO YOU!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!

I just had my 70th, so as you can see, everything is relative. I decided to have a birth "month" and celebrate all month long---it went very well!

I am fascinated by your statement that your fears were born there in Papua (as were you). Most of our fears (I fear!) come from our childhoods...