Thursday, September 13, 2007

Nuts and Bolts, Misc., Etc.

I thought just for the fun of it that I would let you know what a 'normal' day looks like on this hill. From Monday through Friday, we wake up 6ish, and start walking to school about 7:15. 8 Periods later, 45 minutes each with a lunch that is the same length we are done at 3PM. After school Mijo and Nick may go to the computer lab to play games or do email, play with other kids in the playground, practise with the after school band, come home and do homework or wander and do any or all of the above. I stay in my room till about 3:30 or 3:45 depending on if students want to talk and today I will be helping an Indonesian student learn how to pronounce words he is learning in French class. When I go home I try and figure out what to do for supper which we (Scott and I) usually serve at 5-5:15. The kids clean up while I go on my evening walk. I walk the hill here and at this time particularly because the bats are out, the sun is setting, the smoke from the town is rising, the color is soft and the air is cooler.
Scott can be doing anything and everything while we are at school. At the moment he is welding down at the MAF base, but he also helps out with the elementary PE, goes to the store or runs errands, figuring out how to do some of the things he has been asked to do. His routine is that he does not have one.
Yoda ( our cat) spends his day running like a maniac without concern or routine. He had a serious brush with illness last week but Scott is his animal wisdom stayed up 2 nights to keep him hydrated.

The evening can be very quiet in our home but if I played any of the sports here, floor hockey, basketball, badminton, indoor soccer we could be chasing a ball every night. The hill is busy, our house is pretty mellow with homework, email time and book reading. PTL we all like to read. We watch DVD's and make fun of the subtitles that never seem to be quite the same as the conversation in the movie. We are in bed between 9-9:30. It is Ramadan at the moment so there seems to be quite a few men practising the prayers calls at night over the loud speaker. With no disrespect to their month of fasting which is huge in and of itself, but maybe they could not have the mic turned on when they are learning at. Just a thought but then what do I know.

In the evening is also when I go bread shopping. There are several women who come to my door with sweet bread, rolls, tortillas, sweet rolls, flowers, and last night warm banana bread. I think I am paying more then I should...but I enjoy the bread and appreciate the effort it takes to come to my door with what I do not make myself.

On weekends...nothing routine. We hope to go to the beach but not by ourselves yet. Last weekend we went to Jayapura, the largest city and capitol of Papua. I was riding around trying to remember what was familiar. The veiw...It is pretty amazing and will post the pictures next time, internet willing. Till next time...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Isn't it funny how much a routine means, even when it is nothing like what we are used to? I think that is part of my issue here... I just never get settled into a routine. I am too much of a planner, without a routine I am just not happy! Glad to hear that you are all doing well and that Scott was able to use the "force" on Yoda! Looking forward to hearing more! Much love to you all.