Sunday, December 9, 2007

Voiceless Beaches

We skipped church on Sunday and went to the beach. With another truant couple we enjoyed the whole beach, perfect weather, clear water all to ourselves. I think we needed the reprieve and coming home we were tired, sunburned again, messy and at peace.

I have had a cold now for about a week and it has gone to my larynx. So I can't talk ...this may be hard this coming week in my teaching job, but it makes me have to listen more... I can't even yell at the nameless people who play the music too loud. I can't remember the last time I lost my voice, but having to be quiet on purpose makes me nervous. How am I supposed to yell at the kids from my bedroom to be quiet in the living room? How do I get the cat off the table if he can't hear me? Am I really here if no one can hear me?

I was thinking that maybe you all have been wondering if things are OK for us here since you have been hearing a lot of the bad.

We are doing really well, really. The bad you hear are the minor notes in a melody of wonderful. This is not to minimize the bad but to emphasis that even in the minor key days we know beyond that shadowing doubt that this is where we are to be at this time.

It's Christmas, God's Gabriel was so busy making sure everyone knew what they were supposed to know at the right time. Busy in dreams and in visitations, becoming God's voice in a voiceless world. How much he knew...for soon God's voice would be human, no longer through a messenger but in the Messiah.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love reading your blog. I love how you can so effectively give praise to the Lord and glorify him thoroughout everything you do, the good and the bad. You are such an example, and such a blessing! Much love to you my friend!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lisa...that is so kind for you to say that. HP