Saturday, January 12, 2008

Christmas Mbua style

I haven't told you yet about our Christmas. Elfrieda is just amazing in knowing what to take in to make a celebration of Christmas in the middle of nowhere. There were gifts under the three...but I am getting way ahead of myself.

We needed a Christmas tree so we asked one of the Nduga men if he could get us one that looked a bit like the usual Christmas tree...He said it would take a day or two but no problem. At home in Lynden no matter what day we decide to get the Christmas tree it rains and in the Mbua it was no different. But instead of running back to the truck to get out of the rain, this wonderful man walked back to his home ( 4 hours away) and cut the top of a tree down way back in the jungle and walked back that 4 hours in the rain so that we could have a Christmas tree. I was so appreciative but thought maybe we could have done without. That is a lot of work for a Christmas tree. Either way, we had enough decorations to not only make the tree look great but the rest of the living room.

Christmas Eve day we had a pig feast and Nick and Scott looked on with interest as the pigs were killed by the bow and arrows. The men hold the pig by its legs and the other shoot the arrow ...quite close to the squealing pig. Mijo ran to the house, I plugged my ears and shut my eyes and wished that we did not have to observe or participate in the killing of our meal. Needless to say the pits were dug, the stones were heated, the veges and pig were buried in the pit and we had a service. I spoke on 'Emmanuel, God with us' and then we ate. I remember distinctly that in my youth it tasted a lot better. Maybe it was the dirt in the greens, the pig fat floating in the carcass of the pig, the amazing chewiness of the pig meat itself or it could have been that it started raining and we were sitting in the mud...but the experience was wonderful but the meal..well...
Christmas day we woke early, again Elfrieda had brought stuff for stockings and presents and a wonderful breakfast of pancakes and pudding..it was so wonderful. We another service again and this time, Dad spoke. I am not a great hoopla maker, Elfrieda is amazing and thanks to her the kids felt all the wonder and celebration that comes with the season and for that I am so grateful to her. On Boxing day we had another service but this involved all the churches in the area. I have many pictures but again...blast the Internet and its inability to upload pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi - thanks for sharing your Christmas celebration. A celebration like none your kids have ever had - Elf is so good at making a day into an event. Maybe someday you can show a picture of that Christmas tree. The man who provided it must have a true servant heart! - LEW

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the vivid imagine of pig fat! It sounded like fun, glad your whole family is together. Yes, I am reading your blog but would appreciate email too. LDB

Anonymous said...

Oh, the memories!!! I hated the pig fat! You know, I can't really really talk to you about Mbua and say, "I wish I was there!" But I like commenting on your writing. Thanks for mentioning the book! And tell them that it will be published.