Thursday, January 17, 2008

Who's got it going?

Brittany or this wonderful Grandma in the Mbua. I got such a kick out of this picture. I don't think there could be more of an extreme in women. Both having a hard life for completely different reason. One, because of her choices the other because of her birth. I saw this woman everywhere and I think for the 2 weeks we were there Brittany followed every day on the same T-shirt.

When I first saw the T-shirt I was so irritated that even in the Mbua, that woman continues to pollute my reality. I can't even be in the middle of nowhere without Hollywood and all its junk invading. Then it made me think...who has it better? This lady looks much older then her years but living interior as a woman isn't the easiest existence. She doesn't have much choice though, Ms. Spears on the other hand has all the choices in the world and seems to have made all the wrong ones. Who do you think has it going? Maybe neither but in some odd way these women are connected by a random choice of T-shirt noticed by a person who is familiar with both. I feel for them. One can get out, the other will always stay in.

This honorable Nduga woman who has worked hard her whole life has lost much and gained little. Her entire way of living has not changed either even though she wears on her small body and example of all that has. The rhythm of her days still consists of getting to the garden, eating the sweet potatoes, going to church, sleeping in her smokey hut with her family and pigs. Humble and hard working...I think maybe when all is said and done..she will be at the front of that Holy line. To be honest though, I would not want to live either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes. Not what you'd expect to bump into, but an interesting contrast observation.

Check out my related thoughts, when you have a moment: http://felipebeach.wordpress.com/2008/01/05/things-im-a-little-embarassed-to-admit/

Hope you kids are doing great! You're missing lots of ice/snow here (if "missing" is the right word). Blessings to you.