Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Walrus and the Dolphin


OK...the analogy does not quite work because we are talking about on land...BUT whenever I walked anywhere with Scott this is how I felt...I was the walrus slugging away he was the dolphin dancing up the mountain. He walks over the ranges and the only thing he complains about is that he got cold at 10, 000 feet with only a small blanket and a fire, sweet potatoes got old and there was a lot of mud. NOTHING about how hard the walk was, if his muscles were sore which they were not or even if he EVER got out of breath. I walk up the airstrip and I need to wait a minute to catch my breath. He runs up the airstrip and back down to me to see if I am OK. So nonchalant about the whole thing. No wonder the Nduga's claim him...he is like them when is comes to trekking. Me they claim ...but it is because I was born among them. I can imagine they laugh a lot when they see my red face as I struggle up the mountain side on a walk they do every day with a million pounds of potatoes on their back. Oh well...Love the man, jealous of his strength.

Thank you Marnie and LEW for your comments. IT so encourages me to write when I know I am read. You asked me how the kids did. I was so impressed with how they occupied their time, how many hugs they embraced and the food they attempted to eat. The food issues were a bit more difficult for Mijo as were the cockroaches. I'm with her, but Nick liked to catch them and throw them in the fire. There were some nasty little lizard as well...slimy and green and sneaky..these I was also not too fond of. Because of the rain Mijo finished her 400 page story she was writing, and Nick read a lot of books. They were really great and even though they had to sit in 6 church services that were about 2 hours long...they sat and looked like they understood. Two of the services they did...I spoke.
So from the Walrus...stay tuned.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I did not know you would be in touch while you were "away" so imagine my surprise when I checked today and found all the "blogs" I/we had missed! I agree Scott is amazing (but then, so are you)!

I am especially interested in Mijo's writing. Is it fiction or real? You should make an effort to publish both your writings and hers when you return. You WILL return one of these days, won't you?

We loved our Christmas letter from you. Miss you all VERY much, but excited still over all your adventures and experiences.

Les Hon said...

Yes -- though I comment only rarely, I am out here listening...Check your blog daily...enjoy your descriptions and your musings (always have!)...Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure with us!
: ) Leslie H

Anonymous said...

Hi there - Is it too late to ask for a description of how you celebrated Christmas? Was there much private celebration? What did you do with the people in the area? - LEW