Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Whistler Surprise!


I was a speaker up at Whistler resort this past weekend. We had the afternoon free so I wandered down to the village to do some people watching. Well, I saw much more then I wanted. What you do not see in this picture clearly is that a bunch of people took all their clothes off right there by the water. They were part of a group doing strange things around the Whistler area and I guess one of the dares was being naked in the middle of the day in the middle of the square. I was rather amused that my intention for people watching became much more robust.
Naked people are normal in Papua, especially interior...well, only interior. Why is it that one culture's naked people is OK while an others is a dare...I was impressed with the apparent nonchalance at Whistler as if people undressing is all part of what goes on in the square on a Saturday afternoon.
The human body, even when you see much more then you want it is such a wonder!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great observations - even more amuzing was your nonchalance - I would like to think that I would have reacted the same way with the insight - but alas I confess I probably would have been a little taken aback in this country.