Monday, December 1, 2008

...and 14 from the exile to the Christ. Mt. 1:17

Longing is wrapped up in those words. Generations...400 years they say, silence in the heavens. Waiting, hoping and maybe giving up. When did some quit hoping, after the first generation, 100 years, 350 years...how long would I wait ? Christmas is a strange mix of emotions and one of them for me every year is longing. This is year in particular is fraught with a strong emotion of hope and longing. I don't know about you but I am dry to the bones when it comes to enthusiasm for things that are spiritual. I want to be excited about Christmas...I can't even muster enthusiasm for church.
Longing...The Jews had never been restored from the exile. They were still living under another countries rule and still waiting for liberation. After all that time can you imagine what they were looking for...it wasn't a baby in a manger. How can a baby save anything let alone give them back their dignity and freedom. But their freedom, their hope started with a baby...well, 2 to be exact. John and Jesus...cousins from a too old mother and a very young.
As I move through this story again it may at times seem pretty personal, it should be, hope always is.

No comments: