Saturday, December 6, 2008

Zechariah...in the OT

Z in the NT propels me to look at the original Zechariah in the OT. It is a great book full of angelic announcements, visions, proclamations and symbolism. Names from Jesus' genealogy are scattered through out this book as well as prophesies of that Day. It is a quick read, but it is one of the longer minor prophets. All this to day, I will be wandering through the chapters for the next week or so.
1:11 And they reported to the angel of the Lord who was standing among the myrtle trees, " we have gone throughout the earth and found the whole world at rest and peace". The 'they' are 4 horsemen who the Lord sent to go and see...
The whole world at rest and peace...
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.
It is the one phrase at Christmas that has always been dissonant to me. Peace on earth, it seems at that moment in the day of Zechariah it was true..the whole world was at rest and peace, but never since and definitely not now. If not global peace...can there be personal peace? What does that look like, that shalom, whole body and soul contentment with yourself, God and others? Are you at peace this Christmas season? Could you tell us what that looks like for you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peace is the bottom of the being where the winds and storm of the surface can not reach without my consent. I can "let the peace of God rule" - it is my choice to accept that peace or to let the turbulence at the top churn the whole being into a murky dull grey cast. Recognizing that the One who told the storm on the sea of Galilee "Peace, be still" wants to speak that over the storms in my life is important. Do I ask for Him to speak over me in that way? Or am I still stubbornly rowing (and wishing that He were in my boat rowing just as hard in the direction I want Him to) - my fellow oarsman, not the Lord of All. Peace is a choice. - lew

about the long and winding road... said...

Thank you for that picture, it makes such sense.