Friday, July 31, 2009

Dwelling in the shadow

Shade has been of great importance these last few days. Hitting the 100 degree mark in the PNW is not only unusual it is brutal, most of us don't have AC. Why would we have AC when normal high temperature are in the 70-80's. There are drastic measure, like moving to the basement to sleep, closing up the house so that the coolness of the night stays as long as possible, turning every fan on high all day..etc. Finding shade is key to keeping cool.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of
the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, " He is my refuge, and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust". Ps. 91:1

For me, the weather is the least of my worries because life is brutal.
I have a friend who can't produce blood platelets and they don't know why. Another is battling cancer, another can't find a job...How do we walk in the shade, find the shelter we need to rest from life's brutal heat?
How do I find shade with mounting bills in hand and a crushed vertebrae? We look at each other and think...well their need for shade is so much more extreme then mine...I'll stay out here in the sun. But that's the beauty, the shadow is big enough for all of us no matter the brutality we live with. As we dwell...we rest, find refuge and find the fortress...we just dwell. Going back to the question...how do we dwell?
How do you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ps. 91 is one of my favorites. Here it is in the New Living Translation:
1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 This I declare of the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I am trusting him. 3 For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from the fatal plague. 4 He will shield you with his wings. He will shelter you with his feathers. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. 5 Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor fear the dangers of the day, 6 nor dread the plague that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday. 7 Though a thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you, these evils will not touch you. 8 But you will see it with your eyes; you will see how the wicked are punished.

9 If you make the LORD your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, 10 no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your dwelling. 11 For he orders his angels to protect you wherever you go. 12 They will hold you with their hands to keep you from striking your foot on a stone. 13 You will trample down lions and poisonous snakes; you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet! 14 The LORD says, "I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. 15 When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue them and honor them. 16 I will satisfy them with a long life and give them my salvation."

"Dwelling in the shadow" implies that I am letting God provide for me. He instructs us, "Be STILL and KNOW that I am God." Its tough to do because our human nature wants to DO, not be STILL. With the decision to be still and focus on God, we can affirm that He will care for all the details of life.

Moment-by-moment yielding control of life to God allows Him to lead us into the provision He has for us.

For me,the key to "dwelling in the shadow" is choosing to give God control of ALL of my life. I am then to respond to His instructions as His servant. I am to listen for His direction on how to honor Him this moment - then the next - and on through the day.
~lew

Anonymous said...

Thank you...lew :)...today I needed to read that. I am a bit overwhelmed with what is ahead...HP

Anonymous said...

Heidi (and Lew)

I have been blessed today by both of your posts. Yes I too am wilting under the extreme heat here in Abbotsford, but I realized how many times I have wilted to the other "heats" in my life. You have given me a new appreciation of my favorite passage and a wonderful word picture to apply its promise and principle when I wilt under life's difficult circumstances. Dwelling - ah yes that certainly is the answer!!

thanks again,
Sharon E