Monday, October 26, 2009

Faith---full---ness

In my picture file on my computer is a bunch of these pictures taken from some telescope..satellite somewhere. This picture of a cosmic butterfly caught my eye...spectacular. The name of my file folder where I gather all these pictures is called faithfulness. What is it about the world OUT there that makes me think about God's faithfulness? The heavens declare the glory of God the Bible says, not so much about His faithfulness. I wonder why it speaks more to me about His faithfulness.
Maybe because what we see out there happened a looooooooooong time ago and we are just able to see it now. I think it says is that God likes beauty...granduer...spectacular...amazing..His perspective, faithfulness is not limited to a time frame. If you think about it long enough... I wonder how much of the fantastic is still not discovered? Faithfulness to what is unseen, undiscovered, unknown. Maybe...even...what is still unknown, undiscovered and unseen in the seeming nonsense of our lives is known and seen by Him. If He can make spectacular OUT there eons ago so that we can view it today...can you just imagine what He can do with all that we are doing today for the eons ahead.
I've been reading history books about the Irish, the middle ages, the Jews and the Roman and Greek empires. In every time period people had a unique and different relationship with God. How did someone know during the middle ages have a relationship with God? They did not ask Jesus into their hearts, have a personal relationship with God..yet... we can't write those generations of people off as though they did not know God. I think we become myopic in what we think is true faith...We limit God's story by defining Him by today's cultural reality. Just like this butterfly in space...we can't even begin to see the faithfulness of God written throughout each history's reality. We can't even begin to see the faithfulness of God written in each of our own daily realities. It may not be seen in this generation...but faithfulness is always seen in every generation by the faithfulness of the generation before.
Trust me..I am listening to myself. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wondering how John 3 fits into some of your questions. Jesus challenged Nicodemus to become born again as an individual. What am I missing? - lew

about the long and winding road... said...

Jesus goes on to say that no one enters the Kingdom of GOd unless he is born of water and the Spirit...What I meant to say is that through-out the ages we have interprested that differently. THe Catholics putting HUGE emphasis of baptism before the reformation etc. The way we 'do'faith, salvation has changed. Jesus never asked the dicsiples to be 'born-again'. Maybe it was understood..maybe it was somthing complelety different. In the next few lines..one is saved by only believing...Thank you for making me think it throuhg.