Saturday, October 10, 2009

Went to a wedding...

I went to a wedding last night for a former student of mine, wow...beautiful bride and handsome groom. Everything was lovely and as I watched her dance with her new husband I remembered what she was like in my class.
This is one of the joys of teaching...watching what students become. I think when we teach long enough we begin to think that what we see is all they will ever become. The awkward, lumpy, aggressive, dramatic, shy, insecure teenagers who grace our classrooms are just that but not yet done. I always picture them as lumpy clay where we make an indentions in their formation but we are far away from making the final cut. We are pressing in some features, detailing some lines , and if not careful making some serious marks. It is an awesome task to be a teacher...it carries serious ramification when done wrong. BUT...we are in the process of formation and when given the privilege of forming a good line it is just that a privilege.
This girl who danced herself into being a wife...was not awkward, lumpy or insecure. She was/is graceful, beautiful and talented. She invited me in anyway...and I walked along with her in her journey through high school and beyond. What a gift she gave me as her teacher and now her friend.

No comments: