Monday, May 17, 2010

I drove by...

I drove by a graveside ceremony today. Lynden may be the only town that has a cemetery at its entrance but every time you drive in and out on Front Street, one drives through a cemetery. The people caught my eye as they huddles around the plot. Dark colors and hunched shoulders, draped arms and white Kleenex were the unspoken reminders of this grave day.
I drove by enormous houses with closed gates and immaculate laws. Wealth displayed in houses and views and gardens and gates. I could not imagine having so much and living in such gracious surroundings.
I drove by a trailer park a few miles down the road from the mansions. Clustered together with nary a garden plot. Children playing in the space between, on old pieces of furniture and broken down cars.
I drove home, my little house on 10th. The kids were watching Dr. Who...Scott and I just had a wonderful evening together. So very grateful for what I have...and the grief I don't yet have to carry. Such reminders on a drive by...

No comments: