Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Why are you downcast oh my soul...

A strange word...this downcast...usually we use this in context with where we are looking.
In the context of Psalm 42 the verse I am looking at continues...

My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, from the heights of Hermon- from Mount Mizar.

Far away from Jerusalem..the place of worship was this land of Jordan and this Mount Mizar. The depth of who I am, my very soul, longs for the depth of God but I am so far far away.

Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.

No matter what I seem to do, no matter how much my soul pants for God my soul is downcast within me.

What an amazing Psalm of deep longing...and disappointment.
I say to God my Rock, why have you forgotten me? Why...

And there is no answer. The silence of God is terrifying and complete. But it is what it is...

Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him...my savior and my God.

I guess it has everything to do where we are looking...Silence does not mean distance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right - if I am looking at myself or my circumstances -- there is room for "downcast."

Check out Joni's blog http://www.joniandfriends.org/blog/friday-oct-1st-update-joni/

Does any of that resonate with you?

~lew