Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Teachers as human beings

In class yesterday I told my students what it felt like when they were deliberately dis-respectful. In this particular case a student took out his cell phone and started texting. The whole texting in class has been a cat and mouse game for teachers and students. Who can text without the teacher catching you. It is a game and I know it is being played every day in every class with every teacher. As teachers we get so upset but don't seem to think twice when we do it in church, in a conversation with a friend, in the car, at the check out...This new technology that has invaded every space, keeping up with inane conversations that mean so little but take so much.
My students were quiet but I am sure as with all lectures it flows over and out. I will be taking their phones at the start of class. I wish that the title of teacher carried more respect but maybe the matter of our humanness will affect more change. I appealed to our common humanity at the end...our common desire for respect, a listening ear, a caring concern. I don't think it will change anything but if I have their phones in hand...one less distraction will help.

No comments: