Saturday, December 18, 2010

a conversation

In class the other day we moved from count and non-count nouns to belief in the after life. How we moved in that direction I don't know but I have a great belief in the power of the rabbit trail style of teaching. Not all the time but occasionally rabbit trails lead to the best kind of conversations. As we talked around the table the conclusion was, 2 did not believe in anything in the after life, 2 in reincarnation and then there was me.
" I believe in Science, but I have much respect for religion" one said apologetically. "No problem", I said..." I believe in God, and have much respect for science"...we both laughed. We talked about being afraid of dying and what it would mean to be reincarnated. One of the students asked how reincarnation could be possible since we have so many more people now then before. I told her there must have been some really good animals who moved on to being human. Everything was casual and informative...as the bell rang to end class a student asked, "Why do you believe in God, teacher?"
I don't think I have even been asked that question. I don't even know a time when I did not believe in God...but why do I believe?
I read somewhere that the simplest reason to believe in God was to have someone to thank..often that is good enough for me. Other times I need a bigger story to make sense of all the smaller stories or the complicated reasons to make sense of morality and justice. These are reasons why I believe. These are not the only reasons. I could not even begin to tell this student why...she had to go to class and I was left with a sense that I had lost an opportunity.
It does not matter if and why I believe ultimately...but I had better know.
I wish I had known enough to say...I believe in God simply because of Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lets pray that this student will ask again and that she will be ready to hear your answer. ~ lew

Sharon said...

Just to let you know I am here - still reading and enjoying your insights and thoughts immensely! I even email them to my daughter who is loving them as well (incidently she teaches high school at a school much like yours and enounters the same kind of kids,foreign students and interactions with them!)

I have enjoyed pondering Mary, Elizabeth and Zechariah's responses to the good news. I think I too would find the visit of the angel so reassuring for the same reasons you stated.