Sunday, December 12, 2010

Favor

Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be....
All he said was" Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."
Gabriel is having a hard time communicating his intent to the people on his list. He just finished with Zechariah and said one sentence to Mary and she is greatly troubled already. He hasn't even told her what she really should be troubled at... the BIG news hasn't come out yet.
The next thing he says is..."Do not be afraid, Mary you have found favor with God."

If the first thing I heard from an Angelic being was that I was highly favored and the Lord was me...I don't think I would be troubled or afraid, I think I would be encouraged. Finally I would know for sure that God loves me and has a wonderful plan for my life.
Favored though is a different kind of word then love. Favored kind of has the flavor of chosen and maybe that is why Mary felt a bit troubled. She knew her peoples history of what it means to be chosen, of the few who were asked to do something for the Almighty. It usually isn't easy!

Maybe it was like being asked to do God a favor...Mary, would you do me a HUGE favor and carry my son? But not really...God wasn't asking Mary but telling her. There wasn't an option for Mary to negotiate. She asked some clarifying questions and said, "Ok...may it be as you said. I am the Lord's servant." I like her, this Mary who has been worshiped, revered and honored since this time. I like her because she said yes even though she knew what the consequences were. Her courage and determination in the face of what was to come...Her life from that moment would never be the same. Her relationships, her standing in her community, her future ...everything from that yes forward would take her into His favor.

Bravo Mary !

No comments: