Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It is really amazing

Another one of the books I am reading....this one is about being a servant in cross-cultural settings. It talks about an issue I have always wondered about. How can a person from the first world go into a third world situation and really serve? There will always be the idea of paternalism and arrogance. Never overt but if one is more educated, more wealthy, more in the know how could you not feel that you are better than rather then servant of. When we were in Papua for that one year what bothered me was the respect and 'hormat' given to me just because of the color of my skin and my assumed 'better-ness'. I can imagine if you live in that atmosphere long enough one begins to believe it. How can one really be a servant when most of those you want to serve seek to serve you.

This is what gets amazing...one thing never assumed of Jesus was that he was better then anyone. He came to serve and people assumed his service. Talk about a cross-cultural move on his part and how if anyone could feel better than, he should have or could have. Arrogance never seemed to trail his ministry ! Servant Leadership at its core is confidence dressed in humility. There was no one more confident then Jesus yet walking within that confidence was a servant dressed in humility. This is amazing to me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

..... and the challenge is to mirror Him. Even more amazing that it is His standard for us. ~ lew