Sunday, February 27, 2011

Morning


The kids are still in bed and so is my husband. Scott isn't feeling well and the kids...well, they are teenagers and they won't wake up unless prodded.
Yesterday we traded in our SUV for a sporty small car with better gas milage. It is a lime green car and it is the funnest car we have ever owned. It is tucked away in our garage and I really can't wait to drive it. What is strange about this purchase is how uncomfortable I am about what people may think. Whomever these 'people' are...they have a lot to say about everything. They are the ones who tut tut about a vacation we are hoping to go on, how we raise your kids, how little or how much time we spend on any given activity, how little or how much money we have or don't have. They are the ones who seem to know when we change churches and how are kids behave in any given situation. I have no idea who 'they' are but they are powerful.
Working with teenagers every day I get the sense that they are also followed by these same 'people'. How afraid they are of not appearing a certain way, saying certain things and even changing because 'they' will judge and condemn.
I would like to find these people and ask them to let it go and let us be. One of them may be in the mirror, she will be the first I start with.
Then I will drive my sporty car around this little town and give them something to talk about on this fine, cold snowy morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would love to see a pic of that sporty car. ~ lew

Les Hon said...

At the ripe old age of 49 (I'm calling it my year of "completeness"-- 7 sevens, you know!) I have come to understand that those "someone else's" have power because I give it to them... I've been letting things go -- life is too short to not enjoy the car God allowed me to have just because someone else doesn't recognize that all good things come from Him...
I expect to see you drive past my house...be sure to honk loudly!! :D