Friday, May 27, 2011

Growing an Avacado plant

When I first met Scott, in his apartment he had this gorgeous avocado plant that he had started from a seed. We moved this wonderful plant into our home after we married and I promptly killed it. If you know me I usually do really well with houseplants. Most thrive and green up my house quite well, but this beautiful plant I killed, just like that. Every since then I have diligently tried to start another avocado plant from every avocado we have eaten...there have been many. For the life of me I can't get one to go. My last attempt was the best...I got it to throw some roots down but unbeknownst to me I planted it too soon and cut it back to vigorously. It now sits pitifully outside in the rain. I keep thinking that it will decide to start growing if I am not peering at it so longingly.
Yesterday I decided to look on-line to see what I have been doing wrong. Goodness, if Scott can grow a beautiful plant from a seed why can't I. Well, it seems if I had looked it up on-line sooner, I would have realized that I have been trying to grow this seed...upside down. I always have problems with seeds that have a fat end and a skinny end. Something inside of me always puts the bulb down the opposite way it should. So there on my kitchen window sill starts another seed...so much hope in this one. Maybe THIS one, maybe this one will finally replace the plant I so lovingly killed and Scott will forgive my plant offense.
Sometimes it makes a difference when you look for advice when what you have been doing over and over continues to bring about the same bad result. I think that is what insanity is...
So from this insane grower some advice... get some advice when what you have kept doing isn't working.

No comments: