Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bringing fourth the 4th













These children of ours:

So we went to the fourth of July celebrations ... the last time I had done this with the kids Nick was sitting in my lap, plugging his ears because of the noise and we were all not having a wonderful time. At that time, both children did not like LOUD noises...which we could only find out when LOUD noises were present. Needless to say, 10 years latter it went much more smoothly. Scott had to stay home because dogs don't seem to out grow their fear.
I love fireworks...they are just pure joy and celebration. We got to the park 4 hours ahead of time because I was afraid we would not get good seats. We were there WAY to early, BUT because were there early, I got to dance, watch people and goof off with my lovely children. I like belonging to this country. I became a citizen about 11 years ago after being a resident alien ( love that description...was hard to let go) since 1976. Being born in Papua to a Dutch father and French mother, my cultural identity has always been in flux. USA is a great country to take all those loose ends of cultural identity and help weave together a place to belong. There are not that many countries in the world that you can belong no matter your genesis.
This is a great country....I love that I belong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sense of belonging is wonderful - so glad you feel that way about your "adopted" country. That sense of not belonging often is an issue with MKs isn't it? - lew

Sharon said...

Glad you found the place to "belong"! Yes the US is great place that weaves all diverse cultural identities and gives a place of belonging without loosing the cultural diversity. That is what I love about Canada as well. Indeed these are things to celebrate on our national days - I only wish Canada could be more flamboyant doing this like your country is! That said, I must admit we are getting better at it since the Olympics here last year.