Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wednesday wonders

I am ready for another road trip...maybe just to get away again from the routine of not exactly knowing that the future holds. On road trips life seems suspended and time bounces from empty gas tank to the next. Here things are so uncertain, what exactly is Scott going to be doing next year, what exactly will be my responsibilities, what should we be doing now and what should we let go. Every summer between school years things change in my job. Often times I am picking up a new class or changing my responsibility...this year is no different. What is different is that Scott is home every day and his work future is uncertain.
What I do know is how much fun it was to be in Chicago and to be with family and to laugh and talk about issues important but then not so important. As we were leaving my little niece made me a necklace. As she put the beads on the string she solemnly said..."I make these necklaces for those that I love". It hangs in my car because every day I want to remember that a little 5 year old loves me. What was also fun was that my oldest niece and my youngest niece are there together in the same town...well, for a few months anyway. My sister-in-law is having another baby girl. My oldest niece and I are very similar and watching her become who she wants to be in this grand old town is such an inspiration. She laughs easy and articulates so well...such good company.
Then there is my brother and the twins and my sister-in-law and a lovely house and Chicago and walking and talking and eating good food and enjoying great thunderstorms. It was a great time...I have no idea why we have not done that sooner.
Home again home again jiggety jig...June gloom is holding on with a tight watery grip but will let go as soon as July comes around. Summer transitions...have begun.

No comments: