Sunday, April 20, 2008

Building Sand Castles....at high tide


When we get to the beach which is always at high tide Nick will build a sand fort/castle/encampment/large sand structure. It will then be swept away just as quickly because...it is high tide and the beach is only so big. Maybe, that is the challenge of it all and the fun of it all. Sometimes he gets far enough away to make something quite elaborate but it will be swept away sooner then later. It happens, we expect it so we don't agonize over the inevitable destruction.
This week I found out that the hopes of a better job at LC was washed away. I had built quite a substantial castle on that hope that when I returned from the wonder year here, I would again be able to teach, invest in, dive in and build. Just like that the tide came in via email and washed away the incentive..that hope.
I am beginning to think that a lot of what we build on is a sand castle at high tide. Just recently in the life of my family high tides has been washing a lot of dreams away. I keep thinking that God is the tide out there waiting for a good dream to ruin but that just shows my lack of perspective. He isn't the High Tide, He never wanted me to build on the sand in the first place. It isn't about the sand castle or the high tide which is inevitable in this falling apart world of ours...It is though about me. Nothing is permanent, nothing except the relationships we build and the Relationship we have.
It isn't about the sand castle that Nick and I enjoy at the beach..it is about him showing me what he built, it is about us spending time together, it is about watching it all being washed away.
I am terrible disappointed , I invested a lot of time in building that castle at LC in my mind. I am working through how to trust God with what else to do while I sit way over here.
He knows..He loves...He watches...me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written! You have captured a very important concept. May the God of all comfort hold you close as you rest in Him about the details of your future. - lew