Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The four of us


So which sarong belongs to which of us? After a day at the beach we hang up our sarongs to dry before we wash them. Each of us use out sarongs for different reasons. I wear mine to cover up on the way to the beach and on the way back. Scott uses his on the boat ride back to keep the sun off his shoulders and neck. Nick...I have no idea why he even brings a sarong along other then we all do and he does not want to be left out. Mijo...sun protection as well as a cover up for her bathing suit. As we hang together on the line and at the beach our personalities blend together. Scott in his particular way of keeping order, Mijo and her daydreams and drama, Nick and his boyish wonder and lack of expertise and me...I am the joyful participant in seeing how God is knitting us together. We are hanging well together in all our individual differences and the four of us are also getting ready to go in all our different ways.
We are gearing down in a serious way..we are finding buyers for our bike, searching for a home for our cat, visiting our last station, buying our last curios, finding hotels in Bali and Jogjakarta, setting up our trip back home, and hoping we take enough pictures of the right things. Mijo is crying at weird things here and there but then she did the same when we left Lynden, Nick is thinking about school and football, Scott is wondering about work and I am wishing being here would last just a bit longer.
The most dominant feeling though I think is gratefulness...we are so very grateful for the gift of this year.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I think that the flag belongs to Scott, the black and gold to Nick. Then it's a toss up for the green & the blue but I'm going to guess the bright lime green for Mijo and the flowered turquiose for you. Sorry I have been MIA for so long. Work has been tough and I have had a rough adjustment. I AM faithful in prayer though so know that you are well thought of =) Travel safely and I will look forward to continuing to hear of your journey!

Unknown said...

With 4 such diverse personalities, it would be interesting to compile a "he said" "she said" book with how the 4 of you remember/value/evaluate your experiences in Papua. I can guarantee not one of you will repeat what the others say!