Saturday, February 21, 2009

Not as it appears

I have had this picture on my computer background for about a week now. I change pictures all the time as I do on this blog. This picture has kept my attention for awhile for several reasons;

it seems to be moving, the reflections of the trees surrounding this pond are reflected in the water and every time I look at it there is more to see.
I wish I could tell you that I saw this all when I took the picture. To be honest...I saw the pink flowers and loved the freshness of the color and snapped the picture on an afterthought. But of all the pictures I have taken so far of Papua, this one has stayed on my background the longest. It is very simple...but it goes so much deeper then the pink flowers on the surface.
This week has been a hard one at school. The gloom of the economy is affecting our little corner of the world as I am assuming it is hitting yours. People are being cut from the jobs they need. Tensions are high...understanding is short...comments are harsh...feelings are hurt...reactions are quick. It always amazes me how quickly we forget that we follow Jesus.
Anxiety and fear seems to trump faith not only personally but corporately in the school community.
I think fear and anxiety strips away pretense. Fear reflects whom or what we trust. When what we trust no longer gives us a sense of security we become afraid. On the surface it seems rational to be afraid...but when you look closer fear reflects our faith or lack of faith.
I am so bad at not being afraid...but I only need the faith of a mustard seed and I can move mountains. Maybe mountains the size of the economy. Not that faith is easy...or comfortable...but then if we do not trust God in what we fear, what do we really have faith for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just got back last night from enjoying scenes like this in Phoenix - nice to see your palm tree pic. While travelling to and from, I've been reading The Shack - it talks about faith and trust. I've thought of some of your comments as I've been reading. Have you read it?

Anonymous said...

Yes I have 2x..about a year ago now..liked it both times. Heidi