Sunday, August 16, 2009

A charity case

Have you ever been? A charity case, that is. Aren't we all?
Dear friends of mine are putting on a fund raiser for me this coming September. I am a charity case but somehow that isn't a place I really want to be. If we pulled the phrase apart it would mean that in our case specifically we need some charity, love, attention, benevolence. Walking this bumpy path these past months since the 23rd of May I have been wrapped up in the love, attention, benevolence of family and friends...why when it involves money do I squirm. Not having medical insurance has made this accident much more then just a physical healing but still...a fund raiser for my medical bills? I have become a charity case and it is so terribly humbling. Being short on funds for tuition, bills etc has become a reality and in the absence of our ship finally coming in we are in for some lean months/years. What if the ship was in the form of benevolence...charity from a community who cares? Why am I so uncomfortable, so embarrassed at the idea of being in this position?
I don't know how to say thank you enough...how do you ever repay such kindness?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Heidi, Please let me know how I can be involved and help with this... is it a show or an auction or what? If auction let me make some custom scrap books or offer a photography package, if a dinner count me in for cooking or serving or publicity.... if talent... umm.... well... I can greet at the door and be an usher!! Just let me know so I can help please!!!!

about the long and winding road... said...

Lisa..its the FFA Dinner before a football game. So I am thinking all you need to do is come and eat :). I can't think of the date but will get that to you...Thank you. Are you back up here?