Saturday, August 8, 2009

Rough Patches


On our trip to Sequim we took a drive up Hurricane Ridge. It is pretty amazing to see all the Olympic mountains from the comfort of your car. A lazy man's way/or a blessing for the handicapped way to see what would normally take a looooooong hike. From the parking lot you can walk a bit to an overlook to look at the the straights...from one direction the Olympics, from another the Ocean...It is Grand. I was in the wheelchair at this time and Scott, wanting me to see the other view pushed me up a hill on the way over. Around the corner there in the middle of the path was a huge snow patch. No big deal when you are using your feet...a big deal when you are on wheels. Scott never to be hindered looked ahead to see if and when we cross this rough patch if there was one farther up maybe a bit more rough. This patch was it...he turned me around and began to drag me with my feet straight up in the air over the snow. In my fear of falling out of the wheelchair I was giggling so hard at the awkwardness of it all. In my most fearful stretch I suddenly felt strong arms holding me stable...our host Tom had come around just in time to see if we needed any help. With two strong men struggling to haul me over the snow I was able to see the view and the patch of snow that looked like a heart.
I think you know where I am going with this...it is even a saying I am sure you have used or heard. "I'm going through a rough patch at the moment". Another phrase has struck me as well, 'the joy of the Lord is our strength'. What I think this means...there are moments in every day where joy bubbles through the patches. For me it isn't something I initiate or muster if I think hard enough...joy is when the space between heaven and earth becomes a bit thin by moments outside my doing. I am becoming aware of these thinning moments because I know they will come; it is a hummingbird in the feeder, Mocha my dog being a goof-ball, a round full moon gliding through the night sky, flowers that won't stop growing, a good meal, a good conversation, chores getting done. I begin to see that if something is good and brings a measure of joy or peace it is like those strong arms of Tom helping me over the patches while Scott pulls me through.
We can be the joy of the Lord in others rough patches...bringing hope, peace, comfort, humor and everything that makes the journey do-able. Joy bubbles and maybe joy looks a lot like you.

No comments: