Monday, February 1, 2010

Desire

I was shopping for a headboard the other day but while in the store I saw a piece of furniture I can't get out of my mind. I really want it, I know where I could put it, I keep thinking about it and wondering in the grand scheme of our finances how I could justify buying a piece of furniture that I don't need but really really want. I don't get these strong desires for things very often. I get strong desires to travel, to be somewhere else etc. but not often at all for furniture. I think this is odd. Why would a piece of furniture grab my attention...it has been 3 days and I still am thinking of ways to buy it. As soon as I get it in the house, I know it will fill every furniture need I have. I will never want another piece of furniture again. This will be my last purchase for the rest of my life...promise!
I use to have this thing with purses what some women have with shoes. I wanted a new purse every few months. I did this for awhile until I realized that the desire for the new purse never lasted more then the few minutes it took me to empty my old purse into my new purse. It was then I realized the weaknesses of the new purse and what I really needed wasn't what I purchased but what I will purchase in the near future. I finally bought my last purse a year ago and now whenever I get the urge I empty my current purse into an older purse and the feeling of a new purse is present enough to suffice.
This new piece of furniture isn't like that though I tell myself...it really will fulfill me in ways I have yet to experience. All I have to do is go there and put it on my charge card...really, I will pay for it eventually and I won't ever be sorry I bought it...
Strange power desire has over our sensibilities...and this is just furniture.

No comments: