Friday, February 26, 2010

A small kindness

On Wednesday we planned a trip to see the Olympic village up at Whistler, about 3 hours from here. Not that often you have this huge event in your back yard but getting up there entails a bit of work. The road is closed at 6AM to everyone except those who have tickets or who live up there. If you get there before 6Am you can go through all the way to the village and take in the ambiance. So....since one of our dear friends did it and had such a good time...we would attempt the same. This entails waking up at 2:30 so we can be on the road by 3 so we can make it through the road block before 6...this we did but I am getting ahead of myself.
Tuesday night was not a good night at our house. Scott is grieving the loss of his Dad and the inevitable issues ahead. Things here at home are just never easy. Everything is a hassle to the nth degree. We are not one of those people who gets an easy ride...where things fall easily into place. We are one of those people where paperwork never comes through, a 30 minute errand always takes 3 hours..I could give you many many examples, take my word, we are never hassle free.
Tuesday night...Scott is not in a happy place. Mijo will be home late from musical and I will have to stay up till she gets home. I am tired, I am worried about a whole day in a small car hoping that we gel. I pray..." Father, we need a good time and the ingredients for a good time are absent. We will all be tired, we will all be sad, we will all be hoping that the other will not be in a bad mood. I can't create this space...will you?"
Wednesday morning comes early and we have a wonderful time wandering , eating, laughing, walking , teasing, shopping, resting, driving, looking, and being together. A needed respite, a small kindness from the One who could.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Heidi,
I love your account of your day.
We had a similar day last Tuesday although we only attempted to go to Vancouver. I had this "feeling" that everything would go wrong and it started off that way - late leaving, not finding parking easily at the sky-train station, etc. etc. Add to all this was the cold discomfort from rain and wind and the challenge of finding washrooms (unless you ate in the restaurants!). But I decided that I would not let all this deter me since this was, as you said, a once in a lifetime event for Olympic nuts like my husband and myself (he is ALWAYS positive)! Surprise of all surprises we had a wonderful day which ended with someone just handing us tickets (free!) for the medal ceremonies that night. God is good!