Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Silence

You all know the silence that is really loud. The measured distance created by the absence of words. One of the ways that I deal with issues any issues really is to be quiet. I gather all my resources, my issues and go into a created cave of sorts and wait. I don't know what I am waiting for but I wait nonetheless. I teach a Family Psychology to High school seniors here at LC and we often talk about resolving relational issues, how to..what steps to take etc. After 7 years of teaching this subject I can't seem to take my own advice. How to be assertive, how to manage my issues in community, how to not isolate. Isolation being the key defense mechanism of choice.
I wonder what is so comforting about silence. If I don't talk about it maybe it really isn't an issue.
I seem to be able to write about it though (smile)!
It is quiet here in the house.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silence issues - I suspect that you learned that "protection" a long time ago. Is it time to look for the roots that energize that?

Elf joined a small group of us studying God's original design and the things that prevent us from fulfilling His intention for us. The more I learn, the more I appreciate the freedom that comes from dealing with roots and core issues that rob God and us of the Freedom that is available. Has she mentioned anything to you? - lew

Anonymous said...

Heidi...I recognize the silver babbles from your heading and I smile. Hope you are enjoying your day. Dawn

Sharon said...

You just explained my husband to me - after all these years... silence - maybe if there is no noise there is no issue. That would explain him (at least relationally).

Anonymous said...

Heidi -
Read your post yesterday and while cleaning out my myriads of paper pieces/notes in my Bible I found this:
Solitude:
Psalm 62:5 - "My soul waits in silence for God alone 'when only God will do'!"

Unlike you, I my preference is noise - to drown out all the unpleasanteries and issues, but I am learning the value of solitude (a.k.a silence) I tend to envy those of you who "deal with issues, any issues really is to be quiet". Noise is far more destructive!!!! Sharon

Anonymous said...

Thank you ladies.. always feel like I have 'ears' that listen. H