Saturday, April 30, 2011

Reflections in the mud


Sometimes we need a good cry, a rockin party, a terrible sad movie, a jolly belly laugh, a delicious meal, a hard sleep just to give us the momentum to keep going. I do not suffer the small stuff because as one of my wise t-shirts tell me," the little things in life are really the big things".

Beauty can break into every mud hole. As I watched the devastation of the tornadoes I was struck by the spectacular sunshine the day after. How much easier to find and seek when there is sun and not rain. It does not bring anyone back or repair a home splintered but it gives space to regroup in warmth and sunshine. I notice that about tornadoes...after the black comes blue skies. I am not wanting to diminish the pain by saying...hey at least we have sunshine...but at least we have sunshine to start again. A reflection of good in the mud holes of our life. Grief in all its faceted sharp edges leaves room for a balm. I pray this for those in the throes of this awful battle. A touch of hope through the senses of sight (beauty), touch (warmth), smell ( flowers in bloom), taste (good meal) and hearing ( songs of hope)...reaching into the weariness of grief.

When we walk the dogs this cool and rainy winter and spring it has often been in just mud puddles and usually all we get from the adventure are muddy dogs. On this day though, muddy dogs and a reflection of hope.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

You are a wise woman!