Monday, April 4, 2011

Maybe this is why...


Cheryl Bratt was 52, Mom was 52. Cheryl's middle name was Marie...Mom's name, Marie-Jospeh. Cheryl was sick but nothing serious on Friday, got worse over the weekend and died on Monday night. Mom was sick, nothing serious on Friday, got worse and died on Monday. Both died of sepsis from another presenting sickness. Cheryl left a husband of 26 years, two sons and one daughter. Mom left a husband of 27 years, three sons and one daughter. Cheryl youngest son is a freshman in high school, Mom's youngest as well. Both had wonderful friends and touched so many lives outside of her family. Both missionaries overseas and were defined by that experience. Both loved simply and deeply.
I am trying to unwrap the intensity of my response...and as I sat in Cheryl funeral I realized that it felt like I was going to my own mothers. You see, I never went to my Mom's funeral, it was too far away. My two older brothers and myself never had the opportunity to close the chapter on my Mom's story. That is what a funeral becomes, the epilogue to a life's story. I think that is why they are so important to attend and experience.
I was also so afraid that this family would experience the same loneliness that attended me not only after my Mom's death as well as after Curtiss'. In both of these deaths I was far away from any family. I was just newly married with Curtiss and hardly knew his family. When Curtiss died, I had no family at all. I was so very alone in these journeys so when Cheryl died I became panicky for this family. This family could not be more surrounded though with a strong family and dynamic community of faith. This is family that is strongly held within a community not only of a blood, but two church communities and a school community that has and will continue to invest in this broken family. Nothing will aleviate the silence of the months to come and the intensity of loss and grief, but in it all there is a lot holding this family together.
It has been a hard week...and as much as I tasted the grief, it is not mine. Of this I am grateful, for I am sure as I am for all of us...it will come soon enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow-the connections are uncanny. But so like our Heavenly Father to provide a unique, one-of-a-kind situation that, although very painful, may be a key to further emotional healing for you. Thanks for sharing these insights. You are such a blessing. - lew