Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Choosing

"As sick as it sounds, cancer has significantly improved my life in many ways." This is a young man with brain cancer and not a very good prognosis. Read his blog...it's on my list, the one called It's OK ...
To be honest I really don't want to be that thankful. Having seen the ravages of cancer on so many lives I wonder what my attitude would be...
It is about attitude though...and though this man has struggled as any one should he has chosen a perspective that is not of this world. Should I not do the same in the circumstance I am living? I am healthy, my children are healthy, my husband is healthy...even our dogs are healthy. We have enough to pay the bills. We have people who love us. We have a roof over our heads jam packed with too much stuff. We have cars to drive, school to attend, clothes to wear, places we can go and church. We have a country we can complain about and not get imprisoned. We have so many choices in our stores that I can't go shopping for too long before I am overwhelmed. This is just scratching the surface...I haven't even started with my history and legacy or even begun to broach salvation and a divine relationship...

It is easy to complain. It is easy to be negative...it seems the default setting in most of our conversations. At the start of this year I am a bit overwhelmed with all the new responsibilities of my job...but I am grateful for the opportunity. I miss my husband as he works in Montana..but I am grateful he has work. I want to choose a different default setting...it isn't cool or edgy but it is refreshing. Each day...This day...I will ...I choose...to rejoice.
Thank you Phil for the reminder and the example.

No comments: