Saturday, August 13, 2011

Looking down or Looking ahead

I try and wand walk the dogs every day through some farm land and inevitable I find myself doing this...looking at my feet while I am walking. I literally tell myself to look up.
Do we live a day at at time or do we live with the future in mind?

Thy Word is lamp unto my feet...
Give us This day our daily bread...
This is the day that the Lord has made...
Do not be anxious about tomorrow...

Looking ahead gives us the impression that we are in control. Planning ahead frames what we should do today or how we should feel today. My daughter is entering her last year of high school and I can't help but try and prepare for the inevitable absence. But the more I do that, the more emotional pain I begin to experience today when she is very much present.
Having been raised going to boarding school, starting in first grade, so much of my formative years were divided into good times to relish, absences to endure but each time tinged with the next. So Summer breaks were GREAT because we were home but they were gong to end too soon and school marked with such loneliness and longing was just around the corner. Parents coming to visit while in school was so much to look forward too but as soon as they came the counting of the days till they left ensued. Every time was marked with the days ahead and that marking was emotional. In the tropics we didn't have seasons to mark the time but the calendar was marked with parents and times without. So much of my life if the times are good I'm worrying about how it is going to end, awful way to live BTW.
So...back to my walk and looking at my feet. I do most of my praying when I am walking the dogs and because I am thinking and listening, I am unaware of what I am looking at. It is only when I stop and pause that I realize I have been looking at my feet. This is it...though... God gives us daily what we need. We want to be able to have what we need for what lies ahead...BUT He doesn't work like that. IT is as if He wants us to take in the day, THAT day, THAT particular specific day and trust Him in THAT day for all that we may need. Enjoy THAT day for what it is.
I can live a day at a time to enjoy OR to endure. My inclination isn't daily as if I can prepare for what lies ahead. I have no idea what lies ahead.
Looking at my feet , while I am praying is exactly how I should live. This Day...This very, never to be repeated, day is the day the Lord has made.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen - and amen! Enjoy your day, Heidi!! - lew