Monday, June 1, 2015

Monday memories: graduation

One year ago...my last was graduating.  In  one of those time warp kind of things, a year has blown by and I am closing up another year of teaching and preparing for the summer. How is it that life goes so fast?  I was sure that this year would slow down as I did not have skin the in the game.
It did not.





3 years ago, this one was leaving the nest and just like that , she is 20 and finished with 2 years of college after 1 year at Capernwray.  I spoke at that graduation, I do believe it was just yesterday.

I don't want to live looking in the rear view mirror. If I did, I would miss what is coming. I am not nostalgic for those days, I love who these two are becoming. I'm just afraid that  before I know it, I will not be relevant, current or necessary.  As much as I think teaching is a vocation for the ages, there comes a time when my age alienates me from conversations.  Not yet, but maybe sooner then I realize.




The rhythm of the school years lends itself to reflection. We are at the crossroads of students making BIG steps forward; excited, scared and ready.  We take 3 months to get ready to cycle through the next batch. Hopeful that we will also be excited  to begin another year, scared that we will forget that this is such a fragile time and ready to walk them through.

Next Monday I'm on summer time... yes, yes and yes.



1 comment:

Les Hon said...

I know that feeling...
I fear being irrelevant, and if I am committed to any goals, being relevant is in the top 3. Just not sure I will have the control over it that I wish...